Monday, December 26, 2005

When Cultures Meet


What happens when two rivers meet? What happens when two people meet in the bond of marriage? What happens when two different cultures meet? Often there is turbulence.

I am tempted to think. "If he would just consider my upbringing and do things my way..."or, "If they would just cooperate and understand me......"

For the river of marriage to flow smoothly, there must be yielding. Yielding on my part. The same is true in cultures. For blending to take place, I must yield to another culture.

If you consider the things about myself that are irritating to others, the blending will be easier. How do they view my care of possessions, my use of time? What about my attitude toward their country and fellow countrywomen?

Last week the maid and I sang together,
"Let me be a little kinder,
Let me be a little blinder,
To the faults of those about me....."
That is my answer. Kindness is the perfect blender of culture.

"Let me be humble enough to be enriched by what someone else is that I am not.""*

*@1976 by Elizabeth Elliot in Twelve Baskets of Crumbs, published by Christian Herald House, Chappaqua, NY 10514

No comments:

Post a Comment

So What do you Think?